Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Vegan Experiment continues..

It has been a great few weeks of learning new ways to eat and trying not to get upset about NOT eating some things I really love.

Ok, so I ate fish twice, have had some dairy in some items, but have made a huge change overall.

One thing that has NOT happened is that I haven't lost any weight that's for sure. Ok, maybe a couple of pounds, but there are so many things that are really high in fat to still consume so there has definitely not been a shortage of calories and fat in my diet.

Tonight we had some friends over for dinner and I made Vegan Corn Muffins and Todd made Veggie Lover's Chili that includes TVP. I also made Cherry Crisp for dessert and even tried making Vegan Whipped Cream. (I'm the only one who tried that.. it was a bit of a strange texture and too nutty to me to taste like whipped cream).

I thought the corn muffins were a little rubbery, but I couldn't exactly expect the recipe to match Calypso Cafe's Boija Muffins that I love so much. (they are too crumbly, but the flavor is fantastic and I wish I had their recipe to try to make into a vegan one). The muffins called for Egg Replacer that I had bought at Kroger. First time using it though. Kind of a texture like corn starch.

Overall, I would say it was a success. We didn't tell anyone they were eating VEGAN, although one friend asked since we had talked about doing the veggie thing so I guess they assumed the meat in the chili wasn't really meat. ha! The texture of the TVP was really great although I probably wouldn't cook it next time as long as we let it simmer today. I think it kind of disintegrated a bit the longer it was on the stove.

Tomorrow back to work, probably with some leftovers for lunch!

Stay tuned for fun experiments when my soft serve ice cream maker arrives!!

No comments:

Post a Comment